This past weekend was a busy one. Jess and Louis brought Rosie up and Gram and Pop came over and we all had a picnic. Jess and Louis have two little dogs; Sadie, a silkie, and Millie, a cocker spaniel, which meant we say neither hide nor hair of Persephone for two days.
Rosie has learned to talk quite a bit and was jabbering all the time. Her favorite word is ‘baba’ which means -to her- Grandpa, bathroom and her baby’s bottle. Baba is chinese for ‘father’ and her aunts on her mother’s side use it to refer to their father as Baba, so she now calls both of her grandfathers Baba. She liked playing with her lacing boards.
While we talked she did her string thing while I did mine.
I finally managed to carve out some time for the Blanket. I got about four squares done. I tried out the yarn I got from China a few weeks ago.
I also bought a skein of Patons Kroy Socks.
It’s 75% wool and 25% nylon. I can’t wait to try it out. I mordanted the cotton/bamboo yarn I’m planning to de with birch bark. I have off Friday so I’m hoping to dye it then.
Yesterday I picked some violets
and tried to make dye out of it. I figured it would make purple. I actually got a dark green.
(Pantyhose is a great strainer for plant material. It’s clean -I promise!)
I loved the color though so I decided to try it anyway. It didn’t absorb any of it, the yarn, a wool I had spun a while ago, wasn’t even tinged green. I’m not sure if I didn’t have enough (Probably) or that it wasn’t mordanted or that violets just don’t make dye. I’ll probably try it again with more and a mordant eventually.
I went to Kmart to pick up some more seeds and ended up with Onion seeds and two easter egg kits that were 90% off (the total for the egg kits was 38 cents). I finally planted the Lavender, Chamomile and Fennel in pots I threw myself.
I’m working on another project but I’m not sure whether I’m going to submit somewhere so for now it’s a secret.
Due to the wonderfully reliable technology I was unable to participate in the end of Blogging week. So I’ll try to catch you up on what I missed.
Here’s one tool I couldn’t live without; my swift. I actually built it out of Tinker Toys. I wound up the yarn for Podster 2.0 last night and it worked great.
I one year from now I would like to have ten patterns published. I know that’s quite a lofty goal but, hey I like challenging myself.